Crop N Guidelines: Calculating Corn N Guidelines
To get a feel for calculating N requirements for corn, try out some scenarios using the Corn N calculator below.
- How many lbs/acre of N are needed for a corn crop on a Volusia
soil, with no artificial drainage, in its first year after the plow-down of a 26%-50%
- Now how much N is needed if it's the 3rd year after plowing
- Next, include artificial drainage (i.e. tile draines) into the mix. How
much N is needed now?
- Switch the soil type to "Howard". How much
N is required, now?
- Try out other options across soil type, drainage, years after
sod, and % legume and see how the factors and N requirements vary.
To read more on this subject:
Nitrogen Guidelines for Field Crops in New York State (sections 3.1, 3.2, and 4.1).
To download an Excel spreadsheet from the Nutrient Management Spear Program at Cornell University to calculate N guidelines for corn: New York State Corn N Calculator.